Thursday, October 26, 2006

Whatcha know about music?

What ever happened to good music. When did it all start sucking so hard? Sure, you'll find some bands here and there that spark your interest... but it's nothing like the days of classic rock, where bands like the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, and the like were touring the world all at the same time. Am I the only one who sees this as a problem?

Styles of music have become so largely diverse, that it has created a sort of ridiculous plethora of horrible bands. I hear some of these newer bands on David Letterman or SNL and I feel like I want to puke. I find myself asking two questions. First of all, how would ANYone find satisfaction in listening to this untalented mess of noise; and secondly, why would an awesome first rate show even hire these guys to play?

Another trend I've noticed with new music is EVERYONE is depressed! I'm sorry, but did I miss the turning point in our society where life started sucking? Because I'm pretty sure we still live in the raddest country in the world, the sun still shines everyday I wake up in the morning, and as a band... you're allowed to frickin' ROCK! SO DO IT!

The message I commonly hear in classic rock, and other music coming out of that era, is "Let's have fun!" We're young, we're stoked, so let's party! Today in music it's "I'm so sad. I'm so depressed. I wanna give up. Why is it all so hard? I hate my life." Two words: LIGHTEN UP!

With an abundance of music coming through the airwaves, the message of the music is going to be heard... and it is being heard. I don't know about you... but when I hear music that's lame and depressing, I feel lame and depressed. (I'm sure it's the same for a lot of people). But when I hear music that's killer and rocking... I feel killer and wanna rock!

These bands portraying such a negative light on society today, believe it or not, do not hold the majority viewpoint of the youth in this generation. For some reason they're just the ones getting the spotlight, and who knows for what reason. The way this can change is by supporting bands you like. Don't put up with crap, there's SO much good stuff out there. It just needs to be brought to light. Let's have another era like the 60s and 70s, let's hear GOOD music on the radio again, but most of all... let's ROCK!

3 comments:

Media Medium said...

Amen. I would love to see classic rock come back!

Amir said...

I don't agree with said opinion about classic rock, but theres no reason we can't have civilized discourse on the matter, no?

I see why you're sick of a bunch of new bands, but perhaps I can shed some lights as to why these new bands a popular and why people listen to them.

Personally, I do listen to classic rock. Not that much, but I do have an appreciation for the artists and what they have done for music. But I listen to lots of new music, including music which to refer to as "a plethora of horrible bands." The thing is, I don't think they're horrible. And I do find satisfaction in listening to them. Why? Mostly because its something different. I grew up surrounded by classic rock, whether it was listeninig to what my parents listened to on the radio or hearing "Rock and Roll" on every Caddilac commerical over the past 5 years. I mean, the reason all this music is still played is because its good. Its withstood the test of time. But because its so good, that our society becomes obessed with it to the point where you can't live in the US without hearing it at least a dozen time. I mean, Back in Black has to have been in at least 10 movie soundtracks and played during those movies' commericals as well.

Thats why I personally get sick of classic rock sometimes. I still have classic rock cds that I listen to on occasion, but they are never regulars on my playlists.

Of course I only speak for myself. As for "everyone being depressed," I can't say I agree with that either. Depressing music has been around for a while, its just that a certain type of depressing music (emo, if you must label it, which I don't listen to that much, by the way) has become popular as of late.

I think the main reason it is popular is because musically, its different. And secondly, lyrically its a little bit deeper than what you might find in a classic rock song. Not to say that there isn't a classic rock song with deep lyrics, but rather, songs with deeper, meaningful lyrics are harder to come by in classic rock than emo or other related genres. Because there are deeper lyrics in this genre, its easier for someone who hasn't had an easy life to relate to than a classic rock which focuses on having fun. Granted, there wasn't turning point where life started sucking, but that doesn't mean that life can't suck for people other than yourself. A song might be depressing sometimes, but if a depressed person hears that song and can relate to it, it could be quite comforting to know that they're not the only one feeling that way.

And finally, I don't think we should all revert back to listening to classic rock. I mean, having a plethora of genres of music is what makes music fun and interesting. If everyone just played classic rock all the time, all we would have to listen to is a bunch of Led Zeppelin clone bands, like Wolfmother. And I thing we can both agree that we don't want more bands like them killing classic rock even more.

Billy said...

Hey Amir, thanks for your post dude. But some of your points (typo laden as they were) don't make much sense. When I referred to "a plethora of horrible bands," I was speaking specifically about those depressing, "we hate life," kinds of bands. Life may be hard for these guys, like it is for a lot of us (even guys during the classic rock era), however, that doesn't mean they need to take an angle on life that's full of complaining and bitterness. Some people may "enjoy," if that's even the right word, listening to this type of music, but I'm definitely not one of them.

As far as saying people like this music because it's different? I'm going to go ahead an call "B.S." There's PLENTY of music out there that's "different," and in absolutely NO way does this mean people think it's worth listening to, or God forbid "enjoying."

When I wrote about how these guys should "lighten up," in no way did I mean they should not talk about their true life experiences. I'm a songwriter myself, and the best way (like you said) to create an audience, is to relate to them. This, however, is NOT what (most) of these songwriters are doing. They are inculcating a depressed and bitter tone in their music, purposefully. Look at a large majority of this "emo" genre, and you'll find that my words are correct.

Finally, I read my post again to make sure I'm right here. I NEVER said we should "revert back to listening to classic rock." What I said, quite simply, was "support the bands you like." I know, without a doubt, many people do not practice this. My major point of the entire post, which apparently you missed, was as follows: you will find, if you support the bands you like, this "plethora of horrible bands," that seems to be taking over the music scene, will no longer be able to succeed.

But again, thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.