Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Propoganda in Society


It may be much more often than we realize that we come in contact with some type of propaganda. It is described by Wikipedia as, "a specific type of message presentation directly aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people, rather than impartially providing information." When I think of propaganda, one thing in particular jumps out in my mind: Political Ad Campaigns. With mud slinging so blatant you can almost taste it, these TV, radio, or print ads are the lowest of the low, in my opinion. With virtually zero neutrality and only one viewpoint, these ads are definitely NOT aimed at helping the voter make an informed and non-bias vote specifically based on the issues. They're all about "who did this," and "who did that." After a certain point, I just feel like NONE of the candidates are good enough for the job. With accusations of "Flip-Flopping" on the issues, low attendance records, or even some deep dark secret in their past, there really is no limit as to how low these ads will go.

As a voter myself, I know that when I make a decision I like to know what the candidate stands for. What are their beliefs, where do they stand on the issues, and what are their plans while in office? I could care less about who can sling the most mud at an opposing official. If anything, I would NOT vote for someone just because of their inability to stick with this issues. A good old fashioned debate is what I'd like to see.

1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

Have you seen any examples of this type of propaganda recently?