Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Access Magazine

I actually wasn't planning on picking up the new issue of Access today. However, I happened to find myself with some free time in between classes and spotted an issue sitting on a table nearby. I said to myself, "Eh, why not? I don't really have much better to do..." So yeah, I picked it up and began to peruse. The first article I read was entitled "Hyphy Goes Holy." Now I'm at least a little interested and/or intrigued with this whole Bay Area pride thing coming out of Oakland and making its way through the rap scene. The article shed some light on a band taking a new approach to hyphy... which, in my small understanding of the subject, means going crazy when your hyped up on drugs and alcohol. The group, O.R.C., encourages a clean and drug-free alternative to the hyphy scene. The article was well written and told the story very well.



Next I flipped over to the "Addicted to Myspace" article and couldn't help but laugh. The article did an excellent job of telling the Myspace story and made me question a few of my own Myspace happits as well. While also providing me with some sort of sick and twisted hope knowing I'm not the only one who has an addiction.



Overall I got a great feeling from the magazine. I've read issues in the past and was less than inspired from most of the stories. I felt like this time the writers did their research and went the extra mile to get the good story and do the job well. Good work Access team! Keep it up!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

After reading your post I am interested in picking up the latest issue of Access Magazine. I too am a little addicted to myspace and I wonder why this type of media caught on among our peers. Recently, I have begun to feel like myspace is the new high school. People are constantly talking behind peoples back, looking at their profiles so they can spy on them and starting fights over stuff that is posted. The fact that you can list a top 8 is just one example of what a popualarity contest myspace has become. Just the other day a friend of mine thought my best friend didn't like her because she didn't add her on myspace. Since when did myspace become the measurement of friendship. Even though I am guilty of a lot of these things I am getting sick of the myspace drama.